Wednesday 3 April 2013

National Nibbles - Gina Bryce

Follow us on Twitter - @Aintreeinfo

National Nibbles - Gina Bryce

Today is the turn of Gina Bryce who joined the C4 Racing team this year. Gina is a very competent horsewoman herself by the way. Following Simon and Rishi, Gina completes our C4 racing hat-trick.


So onto the questions :

What are your earliest National memories ?
It’s the one race growing up that we would all stop to watch as a family.  In those days my dad would come back from the bookies with our chosen bets.  Funnily enough he never saw those stakes again.

Which has been your favourite National so far ?
Papillon in 2000 when I managed to strike it lucky with a few quid each way. Sadly, the stake was paid for by me on that occasion.

Which 2 horses would you put up against the field in this years renewal and why ?
In previous years, State of Play has always been my banker to make sure I get a run for my money.  His stablemate Cappa Bleu took up the mantle last year with a solid 4th having not enjoyed the easiest passage through the race and with a little more luck this year I can’t see him out of the frame.  I am always interested in Ted Walsh’s runners after my Papillon win and although I would love to see Katie Walsh make history again on Seabass, I am interested in his other runner Colbert Station.  He looks a robust type and impressed with his jumping at Leopardstown in the Paddy Power before advertising his well being over hurdles more recently. Aptitude for the fences, stamina and the ability to overcome inexperience has to be taken on trust but the trainer’s faith in the horse is enough to tempt me into adding him to the list.

What effect do you think the new modifications to the start and the fences will have ?
I am in favour of trying to make the race as safe as possible and to that end a number of very knowledgeable professionals have been consulted and their advice duly followed which is surely a positive. That said, I am not in favour of succumbing to a minority who will not be happy until the race itself and the sport of horse racing is banned.

Bearing in mind the new changes, how many finishers do you predict this year ( given good to soft ground) ?
I would say, judging on previous years, somewhere between 15-20 although its not a bet I’d be wading in with.

Grand National or Gold Cup ?
A high-class problem but Aintree just edges it for me. It’s such a unique test of a horse and is a race that resonates with people far beyond the racing world.

Who would you consider to be a lively outsider in this years field ?
Although a race to have eluded the Champion Trainer elect so far, Nicky Henderson has had such a phenomenal season that I would give Roberto Goldback a chance to break the trainer’s duck. There are plenty of question marks but he has been bought and trained specifically for this race, the drying ground is in his favour and he has reportedly schooled well over National-style fences.

What instructions would you give to a jockey riding in the National ?
If they were listening to instructions from me, I think we might be in trouble !

Who would you most like to spend a day at the Grand National with and why ?
I think Coleen Rooney’s box with her fellow WAG’s would be good fun although I would have to up my game in the outfit stakes !

Where will you be watching the big race ?
My friend has rather inconsiderately chosen to get married that day, so I'll be ducking out of lunch to watch the race and will look forward to nursing the hangover on Sunday with the full replay of the day’s coverage.

If you owned a horse running in the National and it won, how would you celebrate ?
I’d love to do an Anthony Knott and hitch a ride into the winners enclosure although it’s not really what a horse who has ground out 4m4f for you would appreciate.  Probably just a night out in Liverpool, which I am ashamed to admit, would be a first (we hope you get out in 'Town' sometime Gina as it's a great night out)

Thanks very much to Gina for her thoughts and it's a shame she couldn't make it to Aintree for her first National as part of the C4 team. Keep an eye out tomorrow as we have another exclusive, this time with former National winning trainer Jimmy Mangan who turned out Monty's Pass to win in 2003.
 
If like Gina, you fancy Cappa Bleu, Colbert Station or Roberto Goldback then BetVictor are paying an amazing 6 (SIX) places each way, to open an account AND get a free bonus just click here www.freeaintreebets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment